NFL Power Rankings: Week 9
The Washington Redskins Predict The Presidential Winner
According to the history over the last 72 years, if the Washington Redskins win their home game prior to the Presidential election, the current party stays in power. If the Redskins lose, the opposing party moves into power.
Lets take a look at the past 72 years and how The Washington Redskins Predict The Presidential Winner.
1936-2008 The Washington Redskins and Presidential Races
- On November 1st, 1936 – The Boston Redskins beat the Chicago Cardinals 13-10 at Fenway Park, and President Franklin D. Roosevelt was re-elected 2 days later.
- On November 3rd, 1940 – The Washington Redskins beat the Pittsburgh Pirates 37-10. Two days later, President Franklin D. Roosevelt became the only President in American history to run in 3 consecutive terms.
- On November 5th, 1944 – The Washington Redskins beat the Cleveland Rams 14-10. Two days later, Franklin D. Roosevelt was again elected President, marking an unprecedented fourth term of duty.
- On October 31st, 1948 – A Redskins win over the Boston Yanks led to a win for President Harry S. Truman (who had taken over after FDR died early in his 4th term) over Republican Thomas E. Dewey.
- On November 2nd, 1952 – The Redskins lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers 24-23, Republican Dwight D. Eisenhower, won his first term as President.
- On October 21st, 1956 – A 20-9 Washington Redskins win over the Cleveland Browns predicted a second term would be won by Republican Dwight D. Eisenhower over the Democrats.
- On October 30th, 1960 – The Redskins 31-10 loss to the Cleveland Browns, resulting in the Republicans and Richard Nixon losing to Democrat John F. Kennedy.
- On October 25th, 1964 – The Redskins beat the Chicago Bears 27-20. After the assassination John F. Kennedy, Democrat Lyndon Johnson took over and beat the Republican Senator Barry Goldwater.
- On October 27th, 1968 – A 13-10 Washington Redskins loss to the New York Giants predicted Democratic Hubert Humphrey would lose to Republican Richard Nixon, again this came true.
- On October 22nd, 1972 – The Washington Redskins beat the Dallas Cowboys 24-20, and Republican Nixon beats Democrat Senator George McGovern of South Dakota.
- On October 31st, 1976 – The Washington Redskins lose 20-7 to the Cowboys. Two days later, Democrat Jimmy Carter out seated the Republican party and Gerald Ford.
- On November 2nd, 1980 – The Redskins lost 39-14 to the Vikings. Republican Ronald Reagan beat then President and Democrat Jimmy Carter.
- On November 5th, 1984 – The Washington Redskins beat the Atlanta Falcons 27-14. The Republican party and Ronald Reagan beat challenger Walter Mondale for a second term of duty.
- On November 6th, 1988 – The Washington Redskins won 27-24 over the New Orleans Saints predicted a Republican win. With Ronald Reagan already serving 2 terms, Vice President George H. W. Bush ran against Democrat Michael Dukakis. True to previous history, Republican George H. W. Bush was elected as the next President.
- On November 1st, 1992 – The Washington Redskins lost 24-7 to the New York Giants, predicting Democrat Bill Clinton would be re-elected for a second term of duty.
- On October 27th, 1996 – The Washington Redskins beat the Indianapolis Colts 31-16, and incumbent Bill Clinton beat challenger Bob Dole.
- On October 30th, 2000 – Washington lost to the Tennessee Titans 27-21. In one of the most controversial elections yet, Republican George W. Bush beat out Democrat Al Gore by a slim margin of only 5 electoral votes.
- On October 29th, 2004, History would be changed forever the Washington Redskins lost to the Green Bay Packers. Paving a way for John Kerry as the next President, this however would not be the case then President Bush would be re-elected for a second term.
This past Monday Night, the 3rd of November had the Redskins facing off against the Steelers. The Redskins lost which meant the Democrat should win the election. True to form history held its mark again, as Democrat Barack Obama defeated Republican John McCain to become the next American President.
Over the past 72 years the stat of “The Washington Redskins Predict The Presidential Winner” has been correct 18 out of 19 times an accuracy rate of 95%. So next time there is an election and your going to be placing a wager on the Redskins, keep in mind this stat.
Congratulations to Democrat, Barack Obama and his family.