Did France’s Jeremy Menez Try To Hit Sexy Spanish Reporter Sara Carbonero With A Soccer Ball? (Video)
How Stupid Should Gordon “Flash” Watson Feel Right About Now? (Video)
Later on today, Italy will square off against Germany in the second semi-final match at the 2012 UEFA European Football Championships. Many probably figured the Germans (who entered the tournament as favorites) and the Italians (whose four World Cup titles rank second only to Brazil’s five) would make it to this point in the tournament, but one man who had little faith in these two football powerhouses was retired English footballer Gordon Watson.
During a discussion between Watson and Sports Night Live host Mina Rzouki prior to the start of the Euro 2012 tournament, Gordon, a.k.a. “Flash”, stated that he believed Ireland would progress to the knockout stages out the tournament ahead of their Group C opponents from Italy. While insulting the depth of the Italian Serie A Football League and the mobility of World Class Italian footballers Andrea Pirlo and Daniele De Rossi, Watson seemed to be as serious as ever when he said, “I think Ireland can definitely get through at the expense of Italy.”
I’ll give the man a bit of credit for going out on a limb with his Group C prediction, but Ireland? Really Flash?
And to make matters worse, he would go on to voice his displeasure with Germany’s formation.
Check it out.
Three weeks later, let’s see how Watson’s comments are looking now:
- Italy finds themselves in the semi-finals following an impressive quarter-final performance that saw them dominate England throughout the 120-minute match (a 35-9 advantage in shots and 20-4 advantage in shots on goal says it all), and an impressive Group Stage performance against Spain that saw them emerge with a 1-1 draw.
- Ireland crashed out of the Group Stage after losing all three games by a combined score of 9-1.
- Andrea Pirlo currently finds himself among the favorites to win Player of the Tournament honors, as he has one goal, two assists, and two Man of the Match awards to his name. As for Daniele De Rossi, he has given the opposition fits no matter where Italian coach Cesare Prandelli has put him, whether it be on the back line, or at midfield.
- Germany is the only team in the tournament who has won every one of their games, as they earned wins in each of their “Group of Death” matches and cruised through their quarter-final match against Greece, all while using only one of either Mario Gomez or Miroslav Klose — which is the very same strategy Watson questioned.
Maybe next time Flash should spend a little less time talking and a little more time listening to what the woman is trying to tell him. He can learn a thing, or two, from Mina Rzouki.
Latest posts by JamieD (see all)
- Matt Forte Announces Bears Will Not Re-Sign Him on Instagram - February 12, 2016
- Lamar Odom Makes Public Appearance at Kanye West’s Fashion Show (Pics + Vids) - February 12, 2016
- This Soccer Dive Is Just The Worst (Video) - February 11, 2016