Report: Flip Saunders Cancer Treatment Not Going Well
The Canucks' Jake Virtanen Scored with His Face. Ouch (Video)
Josh Scobee Just Got An Update On Madden (Video)

Report Suggests Flip Saunders Cancer Treatment Not Going Well

by: Esteban On  Friday, October 2, 2015

flip saunders cancer treatment

Back in August, the Minnesota Timberwolves announced that head coach and president of basketball operations Flip Saunders had been diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma, but planned to continue working while he underwent treatment. Unfortunately, Saunders suffered some sort of setback, and three weeks ago the T-Wolves announced he’d be taking a leave of absence.

Hodgkin’s lymphoma is one of the more curable forms of cancer, with survival rates at 90% when the disease in caught in stages one or two. Unfortunately, that still leaves the unlucky 10%, and the most common forms of treatment—chemo and rediation—are very harsh and wreak their own havoc on the body.

Based on a live chat from Jerry Zgoda, the Star Tribune‘s T-Wolves beat reporter, it would appear that Saunders is one of the unlucky people struggling to beat the Hodgkin’s disease.

Here’s the relevant section of that chat:

There’s no question things have changed dramatically since the team announced his diagnosis in August, back when it quoted his doctors saying the cancer was very treatable and curable. Since then there have been changes to the way his body handled the chemotherapy (and maybe how much cancer they’ve found) that have made it life threatening. Everyone involved has gone radio silent because of the family’s request for privacy and federal patient-privacy laws, etc., but between the complete silence, the lack of people visiting as far as I can tell apart from his immediate family and very inner circle while he remains hospitalized here in Minneapolis and the things I’m hearing second-hand, well, none of it is good.

Here’s hoping Flip hangs in there and beats this thing yet.

Hat Tip – [Deadspin]