Report: Brock Lesnar Retires From MMA Competition
Dana White and Floyd Mayweather Both Say “No Deal” for Mayweather-McGregor
There were several reports out of Nevada on Tuesday indicating that retired boxing legend Floyd Mayweather and UFC superstar Conor McGregor were close to reaching a deal to fight each other in the boxing ring. Then there came another report out of Ireland saying Floyd and Conor had actually agreed to terms for a megafight, but that the deal had not been formally signed due to some “holdup” from an unnamed third party.
Mayweather and McGregor agreeing to terms of a fight certainly would be huge news. The two have been going back and forth about fighting each other for a year. However, few people have taken them seriously, mostly because McGregor is not a boxer.
Unfortunately, you probably shouldn’t start planning your Mayweather-McGregor watch party just yet. On Tuesday afternoon both UFC President Dana White and Floyd Mayweather denied the report out of Ireland was true.
White, who had previously said that negotiations were “not going well,” told TMZ on Tuesday, unequivocally, “there’s no deal.”
Floyd Mayweather said basically the same thing, only with a lot more words.
“Although there has been several rumors circulating through media suggesting that I will have an upcoming fight, I’d like to set the record straight and state that there has been no deals made on my behalf in regards to a bout with any fighter at this time,” Floyd said. “I am happily retired and enjoying my life! Rest assured that if any changes come about, I will be the first to let the world know!”
So there you have it.
Is all of this just another attempt to create buzz for a fight that will never happen? Or are Mayweather and McGregor really trying to make this fight happen? I’m still voting for the former.
Hat Tip – [TMZ]