Mayweather-McGregor Update: Dana White Says He’s Reached Agreement with McGregor, But Laywers Are Holding It Up
UFC Reaches Deal with Conor McGregor for Bout Against Floyd Mayweather (Video)
After months and months of idle speculation and specious rumors, it seems the UFC and Conor McGregor have finally taken the first concrete step toward a crossover bout against retired boxing superstar Floyd Mayweather.
On Wednesday night UFC president Dana White announced that the UFC and McGregor have finalized their end of the deal.
“The McGregor side is done,” White said during an appearance on TNT’s Inside the NBA following Game 1 between the Cavs and Celtics. “I’m starting to work on the Mayweather side now.
“I’m not saying the fight will happen, but I’ve got one side done, now it’s time to work on the other. If we can come to a deal with (Mayweather adviser Al) Haymon and Mayweather, the fight’s gonna happen.”
— NBA on TNT (@NBAonTNT) May 18, 2017
Previously there had been rumors that Las Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena had been booked for June 10. But there was never any official confirmation. Dana White’s announcement on Wednesday night was actually the first official indication that Mayweather-McGregor might actually happen.
That said, there is still a long way to go. Mayweather has a long history of dragging negotiations out. Ultimately it will depend on how badly he wants this fight, and how much of the purse he’s willing to give to McGregor and the UFC. Mayweather is the one with the 49-0 boxing record, so he’s one with everything to lose.
Hat Tip – [theScore]