Lions QB Matthew Stafford Is Now the Highest Paid Player in NFL History
Chargers Legend Dan Fouts Says It’s “Embarrassing” Team Has to Play in 27,000 Seat StubHub Center
The Los Angeles Chargers will play their home games in the 27,000-seat StubHub Center until their $2 billion stadium in Inglewood is ready in 2020. Hilariously, the team is trying to spin the situation as an opportunity for fans to soak up a better, more intimate atmosphere.
Unfortunately, franchise legend Dan Fouts is not buying it.
Fouts, 66, was the Chargers quarterback from 1973 to 1987. Though he works as a broadcaster for CBS during the regular season, during the preseason he only calls Chargers games. This has afforded Fouts the chance to witness the team’s first two preseason games at the StubHub Center, a stadium designed specifically to host the MLS’ Los Angeles Galaxy. And so far he is not impressed.
“It is embarrassing, I think, for both the Chargers and the National Football League, to be playing in a 27,000-seat stadium,” Fouts told KNX-AM on Monday, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune. “In fact, the Chargers’ first game ever, when they beat the New York Titans in a preseason game, in the Coliseum, it drew 27,000.”
The Chargers’ first two preseason games in Los Angeles against the Seahawks and Saints drew crowds of 21,054 and 21,197, respectively.
So who does Fouts blame for this embarrassment? The Chargers. And the city of San Diego.
“Both the city and the ownership are to blame for where the Chargers are right now,” Fouts argued. “They couldn’t get together on a deal for a new stadium for over 15 years, so both sides have to share in the responsibility.”
Yeah, Dan, how dare the government refuse to spend the taxpayers’ money to build a stadium for a bunch of billionaires.
Hat Tip – [theScore]