Conor McGregor Arrested, Formally Charged with Assault and Criminal Mischief After Brooklyn Melee

Photo by David Becker/Getty Images

The NYPD have formally charged Conor McGregor with three counts of misdemeanor assault and one count of felony criminal mischief over the bizarre melee that erupted in Brooklyn on Thursday.

McGregor and his entourage showed up unexpectedly outside a UFC 223 media event at the Barclay’s Center on Thursday afternoon and attacked a bus carrying UFC fighters to the event. McGregor himself was caught on camera throwing a metal barricade at people and throwing a dolly through a bus window. MMA fighter Cian Cowley has also been charged with assault and criminal mischief.

There had been some confusion on Thursday as to what exactly what was going on. Sometime in the late afternoon UFC President Dana White told members of the media that the NYPD had issued a warrant for McGregor’s arrest. However, an NYPD spokeperson later said that there was no warrant and that they only wanted to talk to him.

 

Later it was reported that McGregor was in police custody, but that charges had not yet been filed.

 

Now we know charges have in fact been filed. However, McGregor may be in more trrouble with the UFC than he is with the law.

The UFC had to cancel three fights scheduled for UFC 223 as a result of McGregor’s bus attack. Two of them were due to injuries suffered in the melee.

Lightweight Michael Chiesa has been pulled from his scheduled bout against Anthony Pettis due to facial lacerations. Flyweight Ray Borg, who got a shard of glass stuck in his eye, has been pulled from his scheduled bout against Brandon Moreno due to multiple corneal abrasions. Meanwhile McGregor teammate Artem Lobov had his fight against Alex Caceres pulled due to his involvement in the attack.

Stay tuned. The fallout from this incident could be pretty significant.

Hat Tip – [Deadspin, ESPN]

Tags: Arrests, Conor McGregor, MMA, UFC,

Comments