David Price Vows No More Fortnite After Boston Media Roasts Him Over Carpel Tunnel Syndrome
The Boston sports media went on a muckraking bender this week after it was suggested that David Price‘s carpel tunnel syndrom could be the result of playing too much Fortnight.
Now, in an attempt to get reporters to chill the hell out, the Red Sox ace has vowed he will no longer play the game at the ballpark.
The controversy started with a story by The Athletic‘s Jen McCaffrey. In it, Price talks about how he and several teammates often play Fortnite late into the night.
“Let’s say we get back at 11 p.m. from a game, we’ll play until 1 a.m., 1:30 a.m., 2 a.m., depending on what time our game is the next day,” Price told McCaffrey. “But day games or off days, we can put some time in…You can lose track of time whenever you’re playing it…I’ve got an Xbox. I’ve got my own backpack for it. I can put it in anywhere.”
Price, who is in year three of a seven-year $217 million contract, is off to a terrible start this season, posting a 5.11 ERA through seven starts. The story about him staying up late to play video games had reporters smelling blood. Then news broke that Price would miss Wednesday’s start against the Yankees due to a mild case of carpel tunnel syndrome.
Reporters threw the sh*t directly at the fan.
Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe pondered, “Is David Price’s ailment linked to video gaming?” Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald asked, “Is Fortnite habit the cause of David Price’s injury?”
For what it’s worth, Red Sox manager Alex Cora thinks the theory is bullsh*t.
“No, no, no,” Cora said when asked if he thought the CTS was linked to Price’s gaming habits. “From what I know, David has played video games his whole life. It seems like Fortnite now is the one everybody is playing, but last year, I saw a lot of guys playing FIFA. That’s a lot of playing, too. So, there’s a lot of teams playing Fortnite, too.”
Cora is absolutely right. Pro athletes in every sport, not just baseball, spend a ton of time playing video games. Fortnite just happens to be the most popular one right now. To single out David Price and make wild speculations without any actual proof is just unfair.
But Price knows better than to challenge Boston sports reporters. So he capitulated.
Price said he will no longer play Fortnite at the ballpark because he is aware the topic has been a distraction last couple of days.
— Ian Browne (@IanMBrowne) May 10, 2018
No word yet whether Chris Sale, Craig Kimbrel, Xander Bogaerts, and J. D. Martinez— the other Red Sox superstars who regularly play Fortnite with Price until 2 a.m.—will also be taken to task by the Boston media.
Hat Tip – [Deadspin]