Get Ready! MLB Draft Is 3 Days Of Baseball Insanity
Total Pro Sports – Some leagues have found their drafts to be too long and have thus made efforts to shorten them. There is no such belief within the MLB as they get set to embark upon the long journey that is their entry draft. Three days, fifty rounds and over a thousand picks later and it will be complete. Many of the players will not even know if they have been drafted, or by whom. Who knows. You may have never touched a baseball in your life, but may still find a home on some teams draft board. It is that deep.
So forget all those useless rounds, which we will claim are anything after the first. Let’s take a look at how we expect the opening round to pan out.
1. Washington Nationals: Stephen Strasburg, RHP, San Diego State
No surprise here.
2. Seattle Mariners: Dustin Ackley, 1B/OF, North Carolina
Unless the Mariners wish to make a surprise move, this is their man.
3. San Diego Padres: Mike Minor, LHP, Vanderbilt University
With eyes on Tate, the Padres stick with the safe bet.
4. Pittsburgh Pirates: Aaron Crow, RHP, Fort Worth Cats
The Pirates are looking to rebuild (just as they have been for the past decade or so). they will do so through pitching.
5. Baltimore Orioles: Zack Wheeler, RHP, East Paulding H.S., Dallas, Ga.
The first of many good high school arms will be taken here.
6. San Francisco Giants: Tyler Matzek, LHP, Capistrano Valley H.S., Mission Viejo, Calif.
There was some word that Matzek might drop a few spots, but there wasn’t enough to change the pick.
7. Atlanta Braves: Donavan Tate, OF, Cartersville (Ga.) H.S.
The Braves are looking for a top high school arm and they will get one in Tate.
8. Cincinnati Reds: Alex White, RHP, University of North Carolina
Looking for another strong arm, the Reds will take the best college one available. In this case it’s White.
9. Detroit Tigers: Matt Purke, LHP, Klein (Texas) H.S.
Although his bonus demands may scare some, he is the Tigers man in this spot.
10. Washington Nationals: Drew Storen, RHP, Stanford
Chad Jenkins could be the man here, but we expect them to pass and take Storen instead.
11. Colorado Rockies: Mike Leake, LHP, Arizona Stat
12. Kansas City Royals: Wil Myers, C, Wesleyan Christian Academy, High Point, N.C.
13. Oakland A’s: Grant Green, SS, USC
14. Texas Rangers: Shelby Miller, RHP, Brownwood (Texas) H.S.
15. Cleveland Indians: Eric Arnett, RHP, Indiana University
16. Arizona Diamondbacks: Rex Brothers, LHP, Lipscomb University
17. Arizona Diamondbacks: Bobby Borchering, 3B, Bishop Verot H.S., Fort Myers, Fla.
18. Florida Marlins: Chad James, LHP, Yukon (Okla.) H.S.
19. St. Louis Cardinals: Chad Jenkins, RHP, Kenesaw State
20. Toronto Blue Jays: Tony Sanchez, C, Boston College
21. Houston Astros: Jared Mitchell, OF, LSU
22. Minnesota Twins: Matt Hobgood, RHP, Norco (Calif.) H.S.
23. Chicago White Sox: Everett Williams, OF, McCallum H.S., Austin Texas
24. Los Angeles Angels: Tim Wheeler, OF, Sacramento State
25. Los Angeles Angels: Jiovanni Mier, SS, Bonita (Calif.) H.S.
26. Milwaukee Brewers: Michael Trout, OF, Millville (N.J.) H.S.
27. Seattle Mariners: Tanner Scheppers, RHP, St. Paul Saints
28. Boston Red Sox: Jacob Turner, Westminster Christian Academy, St. Louis, Mo.
29. New York Yankees: Brett Jackson, OF, Cal-Berkeley
30. Tampa Bay Rays: Reymond Fuentes, OF, Fernando Callejo H.S., Manati, Puerto Rico
31. Chicago Cubs: A.J. Pollock, OF, Notre Dame
32. Colorado Rockies: Slade Heathcott, OF, Texarkana (Texas) H.S.