This Tell-All Book from a Former Yankee Clubhouse Employee Sounds Insane
We don’t get a lot of unauthorized books on sports teams or players. It’s likely hard to get buy-in from any teammates or front-office officials to corroborate the crazy stories presented. However that hasn’t stopped former Assistant Equipment Manager Paul Priore from writing a pretty scandalous tell-all book about the Yankees during his time there.
Paul Priore was fired from the Yankees in 1997, and he claims that was due to him being HIV-positive. So he clearly has a bone to pick with the team. The title of the book, Abused by the New York Yankees, conveys that point as well. In the 50o-page self-published book, he claims:
- Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada had an affair together.
- Cecil Fielder was hammered on vodka during games, while Daryl Strawberry drank whiskey.
- George Steinbrenner spied on his players using surveillance equipment.
- Batboys created a whole market of forged autographed memorabilia.
- Gerald Williams had sex with an underage concession worker in a storage closet.
Ok, aside from the first one, none of these sound that far-fetched. And I could even be convinced of the Jeter-Posada thing, too.
If this guy is truly vindictive, maybe he would have picked accusations that were a little further removed from reality.
Hat Tip – [Deadspin]