Officials Say Frenchman Arrested in Ukraine with Guns and Explosives Was Planning Mass Attacks During Euro 2016
Last month a Frenchman was arrested in the Ukraine with a huge stash of weapons and explosives. Now Ukrainian officials have confirmed he was planning a series of mass attacks in France during the Euro 2016 soccer tournament.
The man has been identified by French media as 25-year-old Gregoire Moutaux. He was arrested on May 21 at the border between Ukraine and Poland trying to smuggle rifles, detonators, and 275 pounds of TNT. Ukrainian intelligence chief Vasyl Hrytsak says Moutaux was an ultra-nationalist and had planned 15 attacks, targeting bridges, highways, a mosque, and a synagogue.
Video of the arrest shows another man was with Moutaux in the van he was driving. However, at this time we do not know anything about him:
— Benjamin Alvarez (@BenjAlvarez1) June 6, 2016
It is unclear if Moutaux was targeting the tournament. However, Paris police chief Michel Cadot told reporters that there was “no specific threat” against any Euro 2016 site or event.
French security forces have been on high alert since the November 2015 terror attacks in Paris. Concerns that Euro 2016 could be targeted by terrorists have already prompted months of planning and security exercises. But until now, the primary concern has been Islamic extremists, not rightwing French extremists.
The good news, of course, is that Gregoire Moutaux did not get very far with his terror plot. It sounds like security forces around Europe are all on their toes.
Euro 2016 kicks off this Friday.
Hat Tip – [BBC]