Floyd Mayweather is Reportedly ‘Very, Very Close’ To Booking a Fight vs. Conor McGregor (Video)
Rumors of a mega-fight between boxing legend Floyd Mayweather and UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor have been going on for the past year, but it’s pretty much been all smoke and mirrors until Tuesday’s edition of ‘First Take’.
ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith recapped a recent conversation with Floyd Mayweather at the Thunder-Warriors game and according to him, what he took away from that conversation is that a fight between the two is extremely close to happening.
“It’s not finalized. There are details to be worked out. He did not confirm that a deal had been done as of yet, but as you know I’ve known Floyd for years and he had a smile on his face and he says, ‘We’re getting there. We’re getting very, very close,’ said Smith.
“He believes that he has the potential to make even more money than he made fighting (Manny) Pacquiao.”
“He doesn’t need it at all. But Floyd is all about business,” said Smith. “His whole thing is that it has to be the right deal business-wise, it has to be worth his time. If he believes that McGregor has the potential to make it happen – because McGregor can market himself and Floyd usually has to market his fights. Because the guys that he fought against he had to do all the promoting and the talking. He won’t have to do that with McGregor and he knows it. So that part of it has him excited from a business perspective.
“Again, I want to make sure that everybody understands: he did not confirm that it’s done. He said it’s close. He thinks it’s going to happen. But in his words, ‘It’s never happening until it’s officially happening.'”