Manny Pacquiao Says He Was Set Up After Controversial Loss to Jeff Horn
It’s been 24 hours and it’s still unbelievable that Jeff Horn was gifted a unanimous victory over Manny Pacquiao, losing his WBO Welterweight title in the process. Despite Horn being pummeled throughout the match and the ref telling him he would stop the fight if he didn’t show him something, the judges somehow scored the fight 117-111, 115-113, and 115-113 in favor of Horn.
Now, Manny Pacquiao is reportedly speaking out and believes he was set up to lose this fight no matter what, according to BoxingScene.com.
“Now that Manny Pacquiao has had some time process his upset defeat to Australian underdog Jeff Horn, the Filipino legend feels he was wronged Sunday in Brisbane, Australia.
Pacquiao told a small group of Filipino reporters aboard his homebound flight from Australia on Monday that he was “set up” in Brisbane. The 38-year-old Pacquiao was a 6-1 favorite over the previously unknown Horn in their WBO welterweight title bout, but Horn won a unanimous decision that was widely considered controversial.
“The referee wasn’t competent,” Pacquiao said, according to the Manila Bulletin. “I felt I was set up.”
Despite his feelings, Pacquiao refused to elaborate on who exactly he thought set him up, but he did complain that referee Mark Nelson allowed Horn to get away with dirty tactics, like hitting him with rabbit punches in clinches and head-butts that caused him to get 15 stitches after the match.
“It was horrible,” Pacquiao said regarding the judging.
According to a story posted to philstar.com, a TV investigative reporter asked Pacquiao aboard the aforementioned flight if he thinks the dubious decision had anything to do with his soon-to-expire promotional contract with Bob Arum’s Top Rank.
Pacquiao replied, “Let’s not think about that.”