REPORT: NFL Told Chiefs To Stop Pursuing Kareem Hunt Video
It seems the NFL has not learned their lesson from the Ray Rice fiasco.
Nate Taylor of TheAthletic.com reports, citing multiple unnamed sources, that the Chiefs knew that video of the February incident existed, but that the NFL told the Chiefs to stop trying to get the video, once the NFL launched its own investigation.
“The Chiefs, according to multiple league sources, knew video evidence of the altercation existed, but they were told by the NFL to stop pursuing it later in February once the league began its investigation.”
The league clearly didn’t do enough, which in turn prompted TMZ to get a hold of it and release it this past Friday and put the NFL back in another scandal with similar questions about the leadership and how they handle players off the field incidents.
To be fair, the league not the team, has exclusive jurisdiction over off-field, offseason matters of personal conduct, but what can’t be excused is that a billion dollar company can’t do what TMZ investigators continue to do time and time again.
The release of that video prompted the league to take action and place Kareem Hunt on the commissioner exempt list. Not long after that decision, the Chiefs opted to release the second-year back after they determined that he had initially lied about what happened.
“Earlier this year, we were made aware of an incident involving running back Kareem Hunt. At that time, the National Football League and law enforcement initiated investigations into the issue. As part of our internal discussions with Kareem, several members of our management team spoke directly to him. Kareem was not truthful in those discussions. The video released today confirms that fact. We are releasing Kareem immediately.”