Toronto Blue Jays Are Paying Troy Tulowitzki $38M To Go Away After Releasing Him
Earlier this week, the Toronto Blue Jays shocked the baseball world when they suddenly released Troy Tulowitzki after he missed all of 2018 following surgery to remove bone spurs in both heels. It seemed like a tough break for the five-time all-star shortstop.
ROSTER MOVE: We've released SS Troy Tulowitzki, making him a free agent.
— Toronto Blue Jays (@BlueJays) December 11, 2018
On the contrary, the Blue Jays are basically paying him $38 million not to be on their roster any longer.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) December 11, 2018
Tulowitzki still had two additional years left on his 10-year, $157 million deal he originally signed with the Rockies in 2010 before being traded to Toronto in 2015. His agent, Paul Cohen, had no issues with this release at all:
“If they are really going to go with young guys next year, it’s best to give Troy the opportunity now to seek out the best situation,” Cohen told The Athletic. “In that regard, we’re very grateful to both [Blue Jays president and CEO Mark Shapiro] and [general manager] Ross Atkins. They could have made a decision in the spring, but it would be a much bigger challenge then vs. now, when not a lot of offseason has taken place.”
The 34-year-old hasn’t played a game since July 2017, when he sprained his ankle and suffered ligament damage trying to beat out a ground ball. He said in August he expected to be ready in time for spring training in 2019.