Ex-LSU Lineman Speaks On Being Shot By His Dog & Having His Leg Amputated

It was the crazy story that happened back in December 2018 when Matt Branch nearly nearly lost his life during a freak accident where his own dog would shoot him in the leg and cause it to be amputated as a result.

The former LSU lineman, who played for the Tigers from 2008-2011, was on an annual hunt with his family and friends when his black Labrador Retriever suddenly jumped into the back of the bed and right onto where his shotgun was laying. Somehow, the dog’s paw turned off the safety and pulled the trigger, shooting Branch in the left leg.

“I kind of looked around at the shock of everyone else,” Branch said, via the Ledger. “I looked down and saw the gaping hole in the Ranger bed next to me. That’s when I knew I was shot.”

Branch said he didn’t feel much pain, but rather just a loss of feeling in his left leg. About an hour after he was shot, he lost memory.

He technically died twice after arriving at the hospital, too.

“I coded for probably over an hour,” Branch said, via the Ledger. “It was two different times. They (medics) worked on me and brought me back.”

Branch was unconscious for 12 days at the hospital, during which time doctors preformed nine surgeries on him and amputated his entire left leg.

“When I woke up I was extremely weak,” Branch said, via the Ledger. “I couldn’t feed myself. I couldn’t sit up. I could barely grab a bottle of water off the table. I’d been asleep 12 days. It’s crazy how your body can get so weak when it’s not used.”

Doctors wouldn’t inform Branch he lost his leg until the next day. He stated he would often feel pain in his left leg after it had been amputated.

“For several days they didn’t know if I would live or die, so I was happy to be alive rather than mad I lost my leg,” Branch said, via the Ledger. “I kind of accepted it and tried to figure out what I needed to do to get out of the hospital.”

After he finally woke up, Branch underwent three more surgeries and spent 57 more days in the hospital and a rehab center.

He was eventually fit him with a titanium prosthetic leg.

“There were definitely times, especially in the hospital and some times after, you feel isolated,” Branch said, via the Ledger. “You ask yourself why you lost a limb.

“But at the end of the day, you’ve still lost a limb. I decided early on to try to be positive. I still have bad days. I’m going to have bad days. I’m just going to try to best I can so I can work through it.”

Branch has plans to return to hunting once again.

“I’m going to continue to hunt,” Branch said, via the Ledger. “I’m not going to blame this on hunting — or guns, for that matter.

“I probably won’t hunt as much as I used to just because I can’t do all the things I did before, but I’m going to continue to hunt and carry on the hunting tradition in my family, for sure.”