Angels P Tyler Skaggs Autopsy Report Says He Died From Accidental Drug Overdose
On Friday, the Tarrant County (Texas) medical examiner’s office has released a toxicology report regarding the untimely death of Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs.
The 27-year-old was determined to have died from a toxic combination of opioids and alcohol.
Via LA Times:
“The cause of death is listed as a mixture of “alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone intoxication with terminal aspiration of gastric contents,” meaning Skaggs, 27, essentially choked on his vomit while under the influence. The death, according to the report, was ruled an accident. He was found on his bed, fully clothed, and there were no signs of trauma.”
A statement from Skaggs’ family issued Friday mentions that an Angels employee may have some involvement:
“We are heartbroken to learn that the passing of our beloved Tyler was the result of a combination of dangerous drugs and alcohol. That is completely out of character for someone who worked so hard to become a Major League Baseball player and had a very promising future in the game he loved so much.
“We are grateful for the work of the detectives in the Southlake Police Department and their ongoing investigation into the circumstances surrounding Tyler’s death. We were shocked to learn that it may involve an employee of the Los Angeles Angels. We will not rest until we learn the truth about how Tyler came into possession of these narcotics, including who supplied them. To that end, we have hired attorney Rusty Hardin to assist us.”
Major League Baseball plans to assign its own investigative unit into the claim that an Angels employee might have something to do with Skaggs’ death.
“We were unaware of this allegation and will investigate,” MLB spokesman Pat Courtney said.