This is what Dallas Cowboys fans have been waiting to hear for months.
The franchise took a huge step this week when ESPN’s Todd Archer stated the team finally had some engagement with Dak Prescott’s agent about a new deal for the 2-time pro bowler. It was the first time both sides met since September.
It was Dallas vice president Stephen Jones who admitted earlier this week that he hadn’t spoken with France since September, when the team reportedly offered Prescott an extension worth $33 million per year, which was rejected.
“It just kind of stopped. We kind of left it where it was,” Jones said, via the Dallas Morning News. “I wouldn’t say there was anything acrimonious. I guess they felt they were done where they were. We felt like we were where we were. We never really got going again.”
The NFL’s window to assign franchise and transition tags opens Thursday, and the Cowboys would have until March 10 to apply either tag to Prescott.
“Our goal is to get it done with Dak,” he said Monday, via the Dallas Morning News. “I know he wants to be here. We want him to be here long-term. He’s our guy.”