Yasiel Puig Issues Statement On Sexual Assault Allegations, Says Woman Didn’t Want Fiancé To Find Out & Sued Him Years Later

(Photo by David Maxwell/Getty Images)

Yasiel Puig is fighting for his name after he and his lawyers issued a statement on Tuesday to address a lawsuit he’s facing for sexual battery based on events that happened back in 2018.

“In the wake of patently false and salacious allegations made against him by an anonymous plaintiff in a civil lawsuit, Yasiel Puig has decided to speak out. “I am speaking out now to defend my name against false and malicious allegations by a woman who claims I assaulted her in 2018,” Puig stated.

“Let me be clear and set the record straight once and for all: These allegations are totally false, the evidence proves they are false, and I look forward to all the facts and the truth coming out.”

Puig explained, “The fact is that I had consensual sex with a woman I met at a Lakers game after she propositioned me. Afterward, we talked about going out together, but she said she did not want her fiancé to find out. We messaged each other afterward and planned to get together again, but we never did. She’s now suing me based on completely made-up allegations.”

Mr. Puig’s comments are in reference to allegations made on KTLA television and in a lawsuit brought by an “anonymous” plaintiff claiming that she was assaulted by Mr. Puig in October 2018–more than two-and-a-half years ago.”

Roe claims Puig forced her into a bathroom during a Los Angeles Lakers game at Staples Center on Oct. 31, 2018 and is suing the free agent MLB star for sexual battery, assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligence, and false imprisonment.

“According to “Jane Roe,” she was assaulted by Mr. Puig in a bathroom at Staples Center after a Los Angeles Lakers game. The plaintiff claims in the lawsuit and in public comments to the media that she had no contact with Mr. Puig prior to the encounter.

According to her, she was in the Chairman’s Club at Staples Center, walked into a bathroom and was followed by Puig, whom she says she did not know and with whom she had never had contact. She claims he pushed through the door after her, and then grabbed her and sexually assaulted her. According to the uncontroverted evidence, however, nothing could be further from the truth.

“These are all provable lies,” stated Alan Jackson, who, along with Caleb Mason, heads up Mr. Puig’s legal team. In fact, the plaintiff’s own Instagram messages and text messages, among other things, contradict her claims. They show that she initiated contact with Mr. Puig earlier that evening. She had designs on meeting him, and she sent him repeated Instagram messages along with her cell phone number and a “heart” emoji-all unsolicited by Mr. Puig. After the game, the plaintiff sought out Mr. Puig in person at the Chairman’s Club and asked him to go into a bathroom with her for a consensual sexual encounter.

On November 2, 2018, two days after their encounter, when Mr. Puig wrote to ask her when they could see each other again, she replied, “I[*m] working it out! I didn’t forget about you,” followed by another “heart” emoji message the following day, November 3. On November 23, 2018, the plaintiff messaged Mr. Puig to ask when he would be back in town. The evidence establishes that the plaintiff–after an encounter she now claims was a violent assault-continued to contact Mr. Puig in an effort to see him again, sending him a series of affectionate and endearing messages.

“It is not lost on anyone that the plaintiff waited two years to actually file a lawsuit,” Jackson said. “By her delay she has effectively ensured that witnesses cannot be located, testimony is lost, and security video and other evidence is no longer available. In other words, this lawsuit appears to have been calculated to ensure Mr. Puig would have the least amount of evidence possible to defend against these fabricated allegations.”

“But what this person did not count on is that Mr. Puig saved his Instagram messages and texts from her,” said Caleb Mason. “The evidence completely exonerates Mr. Puig.”

Puig last played in Major League Baseball in 2019 as a member of the Cleveland Indians.

Puig was set to play with the Atlanta Braves last season, but didn’t appear in a game after a positive COVID-19 test sidelined him and canceled the deal.

He still remains a free agent.