The first month of the Deshaun Watson legal controversy featured numerous social-media posts from opposing lawyers as well as written statements from accusers to supporters. We even had multiple press conferences.
Then…silence for weeks. Nothing was happening as many thought possible settlements were coming.
On Wednesday night, Lawyer Tony Buzbee, who represents the 22 women against Deshaun Watson, confirmed that no settlements are happening and that some his clients have spoken to the NFL as well as the Houston Police Department.
“…have met with the Houston Police Department and Buzbee pointed out “the Houston Police Department has been perfect.” While Buzbee praised HPD’s efforts, he expressed concern with the way the NFL is handling things.
“Some of the women did not feel like they were being respected,” which led to Buzbee attending the fourth session, and said he told the NFL “let’s be clear, every time these women recount this situation, they have to relive it.”
Buzbee said other members of his staff attended the first three sessions with the NFL. Buzbee also pointed out there are “probably four more women who want to meet with the NFL,” but he’s not certain he’s going to allow this to happen. When asked about a possible settlement for each case, Buzbee said that is not happening.”
The thought of Watson playing for the Texans or any team this year sems less and less likely.
The Eagles and Dolphins were two teams reportedly monitoring Watson’s legal situation last month ahead of the NFL Draft. Watson has denied all allegations and is letting his legal situation run its course before commenting further.