REPORT: Barkevious Mingo Allegedly Attempted Intercourse With Teen Boy, According To Search Warrant
More details have emerged after Barkevious Mingo was arrested on one count of indecency with a child – sexual contact last week.
Mingo, who has been released by the Atlanta Falcons, was arrested Thursday night after he turned himself into authorities “on his own accord in consultation with his attorney,” the Arlington Police said. He was released on $25,000 bond, according to the police.
The NY Post reported on Sunday that the linebacker allegedly pulled at the underwear of a teenage boy before attempting intercourse in a Texas hotel room in 2019, according to a search warrant.
Mingo reportedly invited a teenage family member and the boy’s friend to visit an amusement park and go-cart complex during the Fourth of July holiday weekend and was said to have also taken the two boys to a steakhouse and bought them clothes from Nike before returning to a hotel.
Later that night, “the victim was woken up by [Mingo] pulling at his underwear,” according to the warrant. Mingo allegedly became more “aggressive and pulled the victim’s underwear down to his shins. The victim advised that when this was occurring, he was scared and pretended to be asleep,” according to the warrant.
Mingo allegedly then tried to have intercourse with the teen. Arlington police in February applied for a search warrant to obtain Nike’s sale records from July 4, writing in its application the “evidence will corroborate the victim’s statements. Furthermore it is known to [the detective] … that purchasing gifts for children is a known ‘grooming’ behavior in Child Sexual Abuse cases.”
His felony charge has him facing up to 20 years in prison.
The lawyer, Lukas Garcia, called the allegations “completely baseless” in a statement to NFL Network.
“Mingo is the victim of a false claim, and we believe this is motivated by money or some other ulterior motive,” Lukas said. “We are confident when the truth comes to light, my client will be fully exonerated.”