Lannden Zanders is a young man who has always been fascinating by fire. As a youngster, he would build fire pits and camp out in his backyard. So it was no shock that the Clemson Tigers defensive back would be doing the same at his age now.
Over the weekend, the Zanders family’s home burned down to the ground. Lannden was the only member of the Zanders family at the house on Earney Road in Kings Mountain, North Carolina when this incident occurred and that is because his father, Lindell, was away for the weekend.
What’s even more frightening is that Lannden was sleeping when the fire started. The only reason he woke up was because the fan in thye house stopped working.
Lannden managed to escape the house without being harmed. Lindell Zanders spoke to the media about this scary incident involving his son.
“He said he went in the house and went to bed,” Lindell said, via Greenville News. “When he woke up, the fire department was already there. He said his fan cut off and he opened his eyes and saw flames and smoke.”
As of right now, the cause of the fire appears to have started from the pit.
“When he was 10 years old, he would build a fire pit, put some rocks in it, cook hot dogs and stay by himself in the woods. When he comes home, it doesn’t matter if it’s summertime and 110 degrees outside, he will have a fire pit. He’ll order pizza, have it delivered to the house and he’ll sit by that fire pit.”
Lannden is reportedly very upset with himself for letting this happen. His father is just happy his son is unharmed.
“I tell him, ‘Son, I don’t care about the house. As long as you’re OK, that’s all that matters to me. I can replace the house. I can’t replace you,’” Lindell said.