Anthony Bass has to know that everything he says and does will be under a microscope since he is a professional athlete.
The Toronto Blue Jays pitcher issued an apology Tuesday after sharing a video on his social media that supported the boycotts of Target and Bud Light, saying his actions were “hurtful to the Pride community.”
The video he reposted called for viewers to boycott Target and Bud Light because of those companies’ recent promotion of LGBTQIA+ Pride campaigns.
“I recognize yesterday I made a post that was hurtful to the Pride community, which includes friends of mine and close family members of mine. I am truly sorry for that,” Bass said, via the Blue Jays.
“I just spoke with my teammates and shared with them my actions yesterday. I apologized with them, and as of right now I am using the Blue Jays’ resources to better educate myself to make better decisions moving forward.”
The 35-year-old reliever did not take any questions.
The Blue Jays issued a statement prior to Bass’ remarks stating that an “individual player sentiments are not representative of the club’s beliefs.”
“The Blue Jays bring millions of fans together across Canada and are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming experience for all,” the statement continued.
“The Blue Jays are proud to celebrate LGBTQ2S+ Pride Month, including a special fourth annual Pride Weekend at the ballpark June 9 and 10, and demonstrations of allyship all month long around the ballpark.”
Earlier this month, Target corporate announced that it was pulling some of its Pride products due to “threats impacting our team members’ sense of safety and well-being while at work.”
Bud Light has been going through PR hell after its parent company Anheuser-Busch partnered with transgender influencer and TikTok star Dylan Mulvaney in a promotion for the company’s March Madness contest.
Consumers responded by making their sales fall dramatically.
Fans may remember Bass who caused issues earlier this year after claiming a United Airlines flight attendant made his 22-week pregnant wife, Sydney Rae Bass, “get on her hands and knees to pick up the popcorn mess” left by their youngest daughter.
He deleted his Twitter account earlier this month, following trolling over the incident.
He may need to do the same with Instagram.
WANT MORE FROM TOTALPROSPORTS? FOLLOW US ON GOOGLE NEWS.