
Zion Williamson has come out swinging against shocking rape and abuse allegations made in a new lawsuit, calling the claims completely false and financially motivated. Through his legal team, the NBA star clarified that he intends to fight what he describes as a “defamatory” attack on his character.
The 24-year-old forward, currently with the New Orleans Pelicans, issued a strong denial after a woman identified as “Jane Doe” filed a 12-page complaint in Los Angeles Superior Court. She accused Williamson of rape, emotional abuse, and kidnapping over a five-year relationship that allegedly began while he was at Duke University. Williamson’s attorney didn’t mince words, labeling the lawsuit a calculated money grab.
Legal Firestorm Brewing

“This appears to be an attempt to exploit a professional athlete driven by a financial motive rather than any legitimate grievance,” Williamson’s attorney told TMZ Sports. He confirmed that Zion never dated the plaintiff but did engage in what he called a “consensual, casual relationship” that started over six years ago when he was 18. According to his legal team, the woman never raised any concerns during or after the relationship and only demanded money once it ended.
Zion Williamson, through his attorney, has addressed the rape lawsuit filed against him this week in Los Angeles — and he's not only vehemently denying the claims, but vowing to file a defamation countersuit against his accuser, a "Jane Dow." pic.twitter.com/uj9RMwa2Lz
— michael j. babcock (@mikejbabcock) May 30, 2025
Williamson’s lawyers reported the alleged extortion attempts to law enforcement and claim authorities have issued an arrest warrant. “Mr. Williamson also intends to file counterclaims and seek significant damages for this defamatory lawsuit,” the legal statement continued.
Despite the serious nature of the accusations, Williamson’s team expressed full confidence in the judicial process. “We are confident that the legal process will expose the truth and fully vindicate Mr. Williamson,” the statement read.
Click on ‘Follow Us’ and get notified of the most viral NBA stories via Google! Follow Us
The Pelicans organization has yet to issue a public response regarding the situation involving their franchise player. Williamson faced criticism for missing games due to injuries and served a one-game suspension earlier this year for violating team standards, adding to his latest legal controversy.
At the time of that suspension, team executive David Griffin said Williamson had “taken accountability” and reaffirmed his commitment to the organization. Williamson also publicly apologized, acknowledging his missteps and vowing to be a better teammate moving forward.
Also Read: Zion Williamson Accused Of Rape & Physical Abuse In Disturbing Lawsuit