The University of Connecticut football team has canceled its 2020 season, the school announced Wednesday.
“After receiving guidance from state and public health officials and consulting with football student-athletes, we’ve decided that we will not compete on the gridiron this season,” director of athletics David Benedict said. “The safety challenges created by COVID-19 place our football student-athletes at an unacceptable level of risk.”
Spring football is not an option for the school either; the announcement states the team will “cancel all competition for the 2020-21 school year.”
It was just earlier this week when head coach Randy Edsall said he was doubtful the season could be played.
“We engaged and listened to the concerns of our football student-athletes and feel this is the best decision for their health, safety, and well-being,” Edsall said. “Our team is united in this approach and we will use this time to further player development within the program and gear ourselves to the 2021 season.”
The players also released a joint statement through the school:
“As a team we are in full support of the decision to not compete in 2020. We have many health concerns and not enough is known about the potential long term effects of contracting COVID-19. Additionally, we have not had the optimal time to train mentally & physically to be properly prepared to compete this season. We love this game and love competing. We came to campus in the beginning of July knowing there would be challenges presented by the pandemic but it is apparent to us now that these challenges are impossible to overcome.”
UConn went 2-10 last season.WANT MORE FROM TOTALPROSPORTS? FOLLOW US ON GOOGLE NEWS.