The Antonio Brown saga in Oakland continues to get stranger and he has yet to participate in a practice or play a game.
On Friday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the all-pro wide receiver was waging war with the Raiders to wear a helmet that has been deemed unsafe by safety officials.
And according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, he won’t play unless he gets his way about it.
Schefter reported earlier Friday that Brown has filed a grievance with the NFL to wear the same model helmet he had been wearing his entire career in the NFL, but the helmet features an outdated design and is not certified by the National Operating Committee for Standards and Athletic Equipment, a certification that the league requires.
The report goes on to say that Brown had a two-hour conference call with league officials n an attempt to argue why he should be allowed to wear his 10-year-old helmet.
His career is riding on the decision that should next week.
“Brown wants be allowed to wear the helmet he prefers, not one of the helmets that league rules mandate, league sources said. Brown believes the new certified helmet protrudes out and interferes with his vision as he tries to catch the football.
The Raiders have been sending Brown other approved helmets to wear but, at this time, he is not interested in wearing any of them.
League sources also told ESPN that Brown’s recent absence from Raiders training camp has more to do with his helmet than with his feet. He suffered extreme frostbite on his feet as a result of not wearing appropriate footwear when he entered a cryotherapy chamber last month in France, a source told ESPN.”
The NFL has a policy of not allowing players to wear helmets that are not certified by NOCSAE.
The Raiders have yet to respond to this ongoing crisis publicly.
WANT MORE FROM TOTALPROSPORTS? FOLLOW US ON GOOGLE NEWS.