Deshaun Watson is 2-0 in the court system.
A second grand jury in Texas declined to charge Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson on Thursday after considering an accusation of sexual misconduct.
“After a careful and thorough review of the facts and evidence documented in the reports prepared by the Brazoria County Sheriff’s Office and the Houston Police Department, as well as hearing testimony from witnesses, the Grand Jury for Brazoria County has declined to charge Deshaun Watson with any crimes,” Brazoria County District Attorney Tom Selleck said in the statement. “Accordingly, this matter is closed.”
The Browns acquired Watson from the Houston Texans last week for three first-round picks and three other draft picks. The Browns also gave Watson a new five-year contract worth $230 million guaranteed, the most guaranteed money on a single contract in NFL history by $80 million.
The Browns called their research and investigation into Watson, including into the allegations of sexual assault and sexual misconduct against him, “extensive.”
“We are acutely aware and empathetic to the highly personal sentiments expressed about this decision,” Browns owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam said in the statement. “Our team’s comprehensive evaluation process was of utmost importance due to the sensitive nature of his situation and the complex factors involved. We also understand there are still some legal proceedings that are ongoing and we will respect due process.”
The NFL could suspend Watson for a minimum of six games through its code of conduct policy for violations related to sexual assault.WANT MORE FROM TOTALPROSPORTS? FOLLOW US ON GOOGLE NEWS.