New York Jets safety Marcus Maye is facing three misdemeanor charges following a DUI arrest after an alleged car accident in Florida in February.
What’s crazy about the matter is that the New York Jets nor the National Football League did not know about this until this week.
“It appears the Jets were not made aware of the arrest. The NFL is reviewing the matter; they could discipline him. It’s unclear if the league knew about it before today. Failure to report an incident also is grounds for discipline, per league personal-conduct policy.”
The 28-year-old Maye was charged on Feb. 22 with driving under the influence, DUI/damage to property, and leaving the scene of an accident in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Maye is also facing a civil suit “in excess” of $30,000 filed by the driver of the car he hit, according to court documents.
“It is an ongoing legal matter and our attorney has advised us we cannot comment,” Maye’s agent told ESPN. “We are confident it will be positively resolved. We look forward to Marcus getting back on the field soon.”
The driver of the other car that Maye hit from behind has filed a civil lawsuit against him and is seeking more than $30,000 in damages. Maye was allegedly “unresponsive” and “moving side to side” when he was approached by officers. An officer said in a police report that he saw vomit on the driver’s side door of Maye’s car and could smell alcohol on his breath, according to the New York Post. Maye reportedly declined to give officers a breath sample on site, and was arrested.
He has recorded 23 total tackles and had one sack so far this season with the Jets. He missed their 27-24 overtime win against the Tennessee Titans last week due to an ankle injury