Is the NFL.com having regrets over a previous bombshell report, because they certainly made sure it was no longer available to read.
A few days ago, there was a report on the site by Miami Dolphins beat reporter Cameron Wolfe who revealed he had spoken to a witness that could confirm they heard Dolphins owner Stephen Ross offer Brian Flores $100,000 to purposely lose games.
“NFL Network’s Cameron Wolfe reported Wednesday that he spoke with a witness who said he heard Dolphins owner Stephen Ross offer former head coach Brian Flores $100,000 for every loss during the 2019 season.
Wolfe also reported that Flores’ team says it has evidence including messages from general manager Chris Grier that corroborate the allegations against Ross.”
Now, that report is no longer available.
Pro Football Talk had this to say:
“One of the most fascinating developments in a week full of them occurred when NFL Network, the media operation partially owned by Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, reported that an unnamed witness heard Ross offer former Dolphins coach Brian Flores $100,000 for each game he lost in 2019. The report, delivered on the air by Cameron Wolfe, became an article posted at NFL.com.
Now, the article is gone. The link is dead. The stack of news stories at NFL.com no longer includes it.”
Wolfe hasn’t gotten to his Twitter account and delted the below statement about the witness:
Flores’ accusation against Ross came as part of a larger lawsuit he filed Tuesday against the NFL and its teams alleging racist hiring practices and discrimination. ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported the NFL plans on investigating the allegations against Ross.
Earlier this week, Flores appeared on CBS Mornings and discussed the allegations against Ross.
“To attack the integrity of the game—that’s what I felt was happening in that instance—I wouldn’t stand for it,” he said. “… I think it hurt my standing within the organization.”
The 2019 campaign could’ve netted the Miami Dolphins Joe Burrow if they had lost enough games, but as you know, that pick and player went to the Cincinnati Bengals, who are currently in the Super Bowl.
Miami started that year 0-7 and appeared to have that pick in hand, but they would get hot down the stretch and finish the year 5-11. That resulted in the No. 5 pick, which the organization used on Tua Tagovailoa.
As for Flores, he led the Dolphins to a 10-6 record in 2020 and 9-8 mark in 2021. It was the first time Miami recorded back-to-back winning seasons since the 2002 and 2003 campaigns, but he still found himself being fired in January.