Barkley is after a lucrative, long-term deal, yet the Giants prefer him playing out the 2023 season on the franchise tag. According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the team has put an offer back on the table that was previously withdrawn.
Said offer was made back in March and, per NJ.com, was worth $14 million. General manager Joe Schoen disclosed it had been pulled back but it’s apparently the subject of negotiations again.
The New York Daily News’ Pat Leonard reports the contrary, claiming that the offer hasn’t made it back to the table yet. This bit came on the heels of Barkley airing his frustration over certain aspects of the negotiations being leaked to the media.
“We say ‘family business is family business’ in that facility, in that building, and I’m gonna stick to that,” the RB said, per the New York Daily News. “The thing I’m frustrated most about is, like how I said ‘family business is family business,’ and then sources come out and stories get leaked, and it didn’t come from me … I feel like it’s trying to paint a narrative of me, a picture of me that’s not even the truth. It’s not even close to being true.”
Barkley has already rejected the $14 million offer and has said that he’s open to sitting out the entire season if a deal can’t be reached by July 17.
WANT MORE FROM TOTALPROSPORTS? FOLLOW US ON GOOGLE NEWS.