The Jacksonville Jags had a ton of money to spend this offseason.
At the start of free agency last year, the New England Patriots were the talk of the sports world as they continued to sign free agent after free agent. They ended up handing out more than $160 million in guaranteed contracts, which was an NFL record. That record has fallen this offseason.
They ended up handing out more than $160 million in guaranteed contracts, which was an NFL record. That is now an NFL record.
CBS laid out where the money went to:
- Christian Kirk got a four-year, $72 million deal with $37 million guaranteed
- Brandon Scherff agreed to a three-year, $52.5 million deal with $30 million guaranteed
- Foye Oluokun is getting a three-year, $45 million deal with $28 million guaranteed
- Darious Williams is getting a three-year, $39 million deal with $18 million guaranteed
- Foley Fatukasi is getting a three-year, $30 million deal with $20 million guaranteed
- Zay Jones is getting a three-year, $24 million deal with $14 million guaranteed
- Evan Engram is getting a one-year, $9 million deal with $8.25 million guaranteed
New Jaguars coach Doug Pederson is not a fan of spending like this in free agency, but after the year the team had in 2021, he knew something needed to be done.
“I don’t think you want to go into free agency signing seven guys every year,” Pederson said, via USA Today. “I don’t think that’s the model. And now we have the draft coming up that can also help with 12 draft picks to bring in more talent, depth and competition. But the guys we signed will be impact players, you know, right away.”
History is not on the Jags side as they became the seventh team in NFL history to hand out more than $100 million in guaranteed money in free agency. None of the previous six won a playoff game in the year where they spent big.
The Jags haven’t been to the playoffs since 2017, where they were one game away from going to the Super Bowl. Before that, they hadn’t been to the postseason since 2007.WANT MORE FROM TOTALPROSPORTS? FOLLOW US ON GOOGLE NEWS.