Tom Brady is speaking out about rumors surrounding his future job in broadcasting.
During a podcast earlier this week, sports media insider Andrew Marchand of the New York Post put the odds that Tom Brady actually calls NFL games for Fox at just “49%.”
“I’ve talked to a couple of people recently close to Brady and I kind of feel like I’m going more 49 percent chance he does it, 51 percent chance he doesn’t. I don’t think he wants to travel that much. … I think Brady’s a guy who if he’s in, he’s all in. So he’s not going to be showing up day of games like Joe Buck and [Troy] Aikman do sometimes. He’s going to be there early if he’s going to do it, so it’s a four-day event. … He shares his kids with Gisele [Bundchen]. I think that’s very important to him, and he can make money elsewhere.”
The news of Brady potentially walking away from his contract is significant for Fox, which gave him a 10-year, $375 million deal before he retired from the NFL following the 2022 season. He was expected to join the Fox broadcast booth in fall 2024 as perhaps the network’s biggest asset. Kevin Burkhardt and Greg Olsen were part of Fox’s top team during the 2022 season.
It appears he will still be doing that as Brady has responded to the rumors and shut them down.
“Fake News,” Brady wrote as a comment under a Instagram post from Sports Illustrated.
There was speculation that Brady was going to play a role in Fox’s coverage of Super Bowl LVII between the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles, but that didn’t happen.
Brady stated back in February that he wants to be “great” in the broadcast booth, which is part of the reason he’s taking all of 2023 off.
“I want to be great at what I do, and talking last week with the people at FOX Sports and the leadership there, allowing me to start this opportunity in the Fall of 2024 is something that’s great for me. Take some time to really learn, become great at what I want to do … thinking about the opportunity and making sure I don’t rush into anything.”
If Brady can be just as great as Tony Romo was before he started to fall off, then FOX will be thrilled to have him on in 2024.WANT MORE FROM TOTALPROSPORTS? FOLLOW US ON GOOGLE NEWS.