The Hockey Diversity Alliance, led by a group of nine former and current NHL hockey players, has formally issued its requests of the NHL and is proposing a wide variety of initiatives that include players wearing black out warm up jerseys that would be auctioned off to raise money for the HDA.
On top of that is the HDA proposing the league temporarily change the blue line to a black line, according to hockey reporter Rick Westhead.
Westhead went through the HDA’s requests:
- Team owners offer NHL rinks as polling stations
- “Black suppliers” should deliver at least 10% of NHL procurement expenditure by 2020-21 season
- NHL to spend $100M over 10 years to battle systemic racism
- NHL to put the HDA logo on rink ice
- Black out warmup jerseys to raise funds for HDA
- “Temporarily” change blue line to a black line
The NHL has yet to release a response to these demands.