Madelyn “Madie” Nicpon young life was tragically taken away from her when she collapsed and died Sunday after choking during a hot dog eating contest.
The Tufts University student who was a standout athlete passed away at a Boston hospital a day after she fell unconscious at an off-campus charity fundraiser, according to the Journal News.
“In the face of this painful loss,” school officials said in a statement, “our hearts go out to Madie’s family and friends.”
The university stated in a statement that thousands of classmates gathered Sunday night to remember the biopsychology major and lacrosse player. Students placed candles around her No. 2 jerseys at the vigil, which was reportedly attended by half the university’s 6,000 students.
“We are beyond heartbroken to share the news of the passing of junior Madie Nicpon — ‘Scooter,’” the Tufts lax team wrote on Instagram. “Scooter was a true friend and teammate. She truly valued her relationships with her teammates and coaches.”
“Her reach was far beyond our team — she was a true connector on campus and touched every single person she met.”
They added, “We love you, Scooter. Keep dancing from above.”
A fundraiser has been set up for Nicpon’s family to cover their daughter’s funeral costs.
“Madie Nicpon was a beautiful and brilliant daughter, granddaughter, sister, and friend,” it said.
“Her contagious smile and laughter lit up every room. Her generosity and kindness has left a lasting impact on those around her.
“Please consider donating to assist the family in covering funeral and medical expenses.”
Nicpon had played in several games in her first two years and was expected to be a key contributor this season.