We have now hit a new snag in the illegal sign stealing of the Houston Astros during the 2017 season.
Former MLB pitcher Mike Bolsinger, who was a member of the Toronto Blue Jays in 2017, has formally filed a lawsuit that accuses the Astros of unfair business practices, negligence, and intentional interference with contractual and economic relations, according to USA Today.
“Yes, Bolsinger is seeking unspecified damages, but they’re not all for himself. He wants the Astros to forfeit the roughly $31 million in bonuses from their ill-gotten World Series title, and for the money to go to charities in Los Angeles focused on bettering kids’ lives, as well as to create a fund for retired baseball players who need financial assistance.
“There’s a message to be sent to youth out there. Especially athletes, more specifically baseball players,” Bolsinger told USA TODAY Sports. “It was awesome to (grow up and) watch game played the right way. We’ve kind of drifted from that. It’s something we can really express to these kids: You don’t have to cheat to get to where you want to go.
“This kind of stuff doesn’t need to happen.”
During a start against the Astros — Bolsinger was lit up for our runs, four hits and three walks in a third of an inning. He only got to throw 29 pitches in an August 4, 2017 game that was in Houston.
“I don’t know if I’ve had a worse outing in my professional career,” Bolsinger said. “I remember saying, ‘It was like they knew what I was throwing. They’re laying off pitches they weren’t laying off before. It’s like they knew what was coming.’ That was the thought in my head.
“I felt like I didn’t have a chance.”
As it turned out, the Astros did know what was coming as Major League Baseball stated last month, which led to the suspension and ultimate firings of their manager and GM.
WANT MORE FROM TOTALPROSPORTS? FOLLOW US ON GOOGLE NEWS.