What’s to come over the next few months might be the hardest battle over the release of a sextape in the history of the United States.
Earlier this week, a Florida Sheriff stated publicly that New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft Asian Spa sex tape will likely be released at some point, even though he took drastic actions to make sure those videos never see the light of day by filing a motion to stop the public release of those embarrassing videos.
“I do think ultimately they are probably going to get released,” Martin County Sheriff William Snyder told CNBC on Thursday, a day after Kraft moved to keep police surveillance videos of him sealed.
“Once a case is over, it’s not an ongoing investigation,” Snyder said. “There has to be a specific reason not to release a public record. And the fact that there is sexual activity is not an exemption.”
One of Kraft’s lawyer has now come out swinging back and stating the release of those videos violate his fourth amendment rights.
“We’ve looked at . . . the law around the warrant for the video surveillance inside the spa, and we think it is a violation of the Fourth Amendment,” William Burck said, via Emily Smith of the New York Post. “We also believe the traffic stop [made by police as the men left the spa] was illegal and a violation of the Constitution. . . .
“The state attorney should take a look how the evidence in this case was obtained by the police and explain how this evidence passes Constitutional muster, because we don’t see it.”
Burck also pointed out that prosecutors have refused to agree to keep the video confidential:
“We put in a motion for a protective order of the evidence in this case, a standard request in any case to keep evidence protected until trial — especially since the video evidence supposedly contains private moments between [two or more] people,” Burck said. “We’ve been surprised and disappointed that the state attorney did not sign on to the protective order, because it is a standard procedure in a criminal case. They declined to agree to the protective order.”
Kraft was one of 25 people charged in Jupiter, Fla., on Feb. 22 in a statewide investigation into the use of massage parlors for prostitution and human trafficking.
Kraft has since pleaded not guilty and refused to take a plea deal that would reportedly require him to admit they would have been proven guilty at trial and complete community service, an education course about prostitution, a sexually transmitted diseases screening and pay for some court costs.
WANT MORE FROM TOTALPROSPORTS? FOLLOW US ON GOOGLE NEWS.